Monday, September 25, 2017

MIA

I've been pretty much Missing In Action the last 2 weeks...a bit over a week ago (Saturday night to be specific) we began the current PTS (Payload Transportation System) Mission. We convoyed our gigantic SCTS (Space Cargo Transportation System) container to the flightline and over the next several hours loaded into the waiting C5 aircraft. The next night (Sunday) we loaded the support equipment C5 ( with everything we need for the mission), boarded and were SUPPOSED to fly to LAX....but we had a problem with the aircraft and were delayed for 24 hours for repairs. So we finally flew Monday night. Tuesday night we unloaded the aircraft(s) and convoyed the container to the factory (that built the spacecraft we are picking up). I had Wednesday off as I was shifting from nights to days. Thursday began as a whirlwind of work to prepare and load the container with the spacecraft.

Sunday night (yesterday) we again convoyed, this time TO the waiting aircraft...and did what we do...loaded it on the plane. Tonight we load the support plane, board and fly home with our spacecraft. I can't begin to tell you how much WORK it takes by a small army of people to do all this. The on/off-loads are literally a 4 ring circus of activity. Our staff includes 4 inspectors, which are integral to everything we do. There is written procedures and checklists, with the inspector running the show and the tech (me and the other "working" guys) doing the work, with our engineers overseeing and supporting. The fact that we have 4 inspectors means there can be 4 separate jobs going on at any given moment. Being as this is only my 2nd mission, I only get to see the jobs I'm actually working, and there are 3 jobs happening that I'm not involved in. This illustrates how HARD it is to learn this job...there is SO MUCH going on at any given moment...it's just amazing!

ANYWAY....we fly home tonight in the middle of the night (hopefully)...the support aircraft should be arriving soon and we have a small crew already at the flightline to load it. We also have a monitoring crew with the container, as it has a spacecraft inside it and must be monitored at all times. The container has it's own HVAC systems (Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning) that keep the interior at a set temperature/humidity at all times. Spacecraft are EXPENSIVE and must be cared for like the irreplaceable asset they are.

Assuming the support aircraft arrives on time and has no problems, and we have no problems with the container aircraft, we'll fly home and head to the payload processing facility on Vandenberg to prepare for the arrival of the container in 2 days. Tuesday night (tomorrow) we'll unload the container and transport it to a safe-haven building for a day, then Wednesday we go back to split shifts (we run 24 hour shift coverage during these missions typically a 12 hour day shift and a 12 hour graveyard shift). The night shift will do the convoy to the processing facility, and the day shift will relieve the graves crew Thursday morning to begin the work there...the container needs to be cleaned and then brought inside the payload center, where the  lid will be lifted off and the spacecraft lifted out and put on a stand in a cleanroom cell...where it begins it's final preparations for launch. When it's done being processed and fueled it will be placed inside a fairing and transported to the launch pad and stacked on a booster.

So...that's what's been going on in my life...busy busy busy. Yesterday (Sunday) I had the day off as we transitioned from days to nights (I worked the day shift here in LA)...so I drove down to San Diego for something to do. I went to the Naval Station as I haven't been there since Navy Boot Camp back in January 1979. It was fun to wander around the base, looking at the ships. BOY have things changed since I retired in 1994! Here are 2 pics of the NEW USS Independence! HOLY SMOKES! It's a new Navy for sure!


The name USS Independence used to belong to an aircraft carrier in MY day. But the Indy was retired while I was still on Active duty. Don't know much about this beauty but it looks amazing! About all I can tell is that it's a Tri-hull (3 points that touch the water). Traditional ships are 1 hull. I sailed on a twin-hull a few times when I was doing my sea-time. This is new and looks awesome!

So...that's what I've been up to lately. Just thought I'd catch you up on current events.

Later gaters...cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Matt I always enjoy your work reports -- so interesting to me, and so far removed from my career (although, sometimes when transporting a critically ill patient on full life support from the unit to, say, OR, can be describing somewhat similarly...)

    BTW a patient's family member 2 weeks ago or so had a son who "works as a contractor" at Vandenberg. He wasn't quite sure just what he did, though, so I can't guess if he might work with you (It is a big place, I know). Last name I think was Hale -- not sure of that either, too many names since then to be honest.

    Rae

    ReplyDelete