Saturday, May 30, 2020

Space

And we have done it! Americans, launched from America back into space! After almost a decade of PAYING DEARLY (to the Russians) for every American seat traveling to the ISS, we are FINALLY BACK! (I can hear the Russian Space Agency groaning from here! There went a HUGE part of their funding).

You have to hand it to Elon Musk and SpaceX. I can't remember how many years back it was that SpaceX leased the SLC-3 West (Space Launch Complex-3, the west side...the east side is used for Atlas V)  right here at Vandenberg Air Force Base, and they had basically a tent out there on the concrete pad, and finally they had a Falcon-1 rocket standing out there for weeks/months. It's been quite a while, and they WANTED to launch their Falcon-1 but weren't allowed to because the US Government  had a spacecraft awaiting it's launch out at one of the other 2 pads on Vandenberg Southbase (either SLC-4 or SLC-6...can't remember exactly which one). I remember driving by SLC-3 seeing the Falcon out there, so it might have been in 2005 (when I was still working at SLC-4). Turns out the US Government (ie, US Air Force) had a lot more clout than the fledgling SpaceX company, and were able to dictate that you are NOT going to launch ANYTHING over the top of a few billion $ hanging out at the other launch pad (we had a spacecraft on-pad awaiting launch). The Falcon-1 was a single-engine rocket with the original Merlin engine I seem to recall.

The Falcon-1 was only a test-rocket, used for testing their brand new Merlin engine which was intended to be used on much larger rockets once it was perfected. Which they did, and which it is. The Merlin engines are used on the Falcon-9 (for 9 engines per rocket). Boeing's Delta IV rocket uses two Rocketdyne RS-68 engines (designed and made in the US by Rocketdyne corp...my big bro works there still, has been there since the Space Shuttle was still being built). And the other player BEFORE SpaceX came along for the larger (ie heavier spacecraft) US Government launches is the Lockheed Martin Atlas V (both Delta IV and Atlas IV are now ULA...or United Launch Alliance). The  Atlas V uses a Russian RD-180 twin engine very similar to the Delta IV's. Elon determined that more cheaper engines were better than fewer bigger more expensive ones, especially as all engines are one-time-use disposable...they fall into the ocean after the 1st stage burn is complete. The beauty of the 9 engine cluster is that 1 or even 2 engines can have an issue and the rocket can still reach it's destination as the others can be throttled-up to compensate. Pretty brilliant. And I believe from near the very start Elon was planning on re-using the boosters.

I can just picture the meeting long ago, with Elon and all his smartest rocket-people in the room, discussing how to make space-launch cheaper and one-up the Boeing and Lockheed rockets that were sharing all the government launches. Up to that point every launch the paying customer (the owner of the spacecraft being launched) paid for the entire booster, fuel, range, and probably a ton of other stuff, as well as a hefty profit margin for the manufacturer. Every pound put into orbit has a set dollar amount, and it was a LOT. Let's take water...even today water is a very expensive commodity in space. The ISS filters all it's water for re-use over and over, but there are huge losses due to human beings breathing out water vapor with every breath. Water is shipped up all the time on the resupply missions at great expense to the taxpayers. Anyway...just picture Elon telling this assembled lot of brilliant people we need to cut costs, the question is how to do it. No idea is too stupid, speak up, don't be afraid. People started tossing out ideas, that's good...that's good..yep, that will save some, good idea. Finally everybody was done, the room was quiet. Elon is looking around, so far it's all been chump-change in the big scheme of cost per pound to orbit. And finally one person sheepishly raises their hand from the crowd...everybody looks, and this brave brilliant engineer meekly says "why don't land the boosters and re-use them?", which after a few moments of incredulous silence was met with throwing of rotten food, popcorn, water, anything the crowd had, as THAT was such a stupid idea! Yes, I was wrong, there IS something too stupid, and that was it.

But Elon was not throwing stuff nor razzing this brilliant engineer who so bravely tossed out a game-changing idea. He was already rolling that around in his brilliant mind. The idea was set. Now how to make that happen. (I have no idea whatsoever if this is how it happened, maybe Elon himself came up with this idea which is very possible, however from the very start of SpaceX he has surrounded himself with the brightest minds money could buy...he literally went to Rocketdyne and hired away some of their best and brightest top rocket-scientists to leap-frog over the VERY EXPENSIVE learning curve of building a brand new rocket engine without blowing up dozens of them and the test-stands during development (which Rocketdyne has done many  many times). I remember hearing about this "Plan" to land boosters and thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. I also remember the failed attempts at landing them yet how close they actually were (and how much they learned with each failure) until that one day when they stuck the landing on the barge at sea. I thought it was one of the most amazing things I had ever witnessed...they had done the impossible. Even after that first success they had other failures, but they started to rack up successes until now it is quite common. Here is a bit I copied from Wikipedia:

"Falcon family core boosters have successfully landed 52 times in 62 attempts. A total of 23 boosters have flown a second mission, including two pairs as Falcon Heavy side-boosters, six boosters have gone on to fly a third mission, four boosters have flown a fourth mission and one has flown five times."

For one thing, that info on how many have been landed and how many have been reused is simply amazing! I don't have the date of that post on Wikipedia, but if that data was current, then you can add 1 booster to the total that has landed, being as they again stuck the landing on their barge at sea today. But it was last year, or maybe the year before that I think (during the maiden launch of their Falcon-9 Heavy, which is 3 Falcon-9's bolted together to launch the heaviest payloads we have and challenge the Delta IV Heavy for the heaviest payload launch contracts) where the mission was the Demo of the Heavy and Elon launched his own personal Tesla Roadster with the space-suited dummy driving the convertible Lotus body Tesla, which is even now zipping along on it's way to the sun after a successful launch. Anyway, they stuck the landing of both the outer booster cores which landed on the ground at Kennedy Space Center/Cape Canaveral almost simultaneously...it was THAT video of the 2 boosters in the same frame of video landing which is now the coolest thing I have ever seen. The center core (which had the payload on top of it) burned longer than the jettisoned outer-cores, and for that one they had the barge at sea and were still hoping to land it, but from the start they knew it was a long-shot as it was likely to not have enough fuel, and still they came THAT close (it hit the barge but at too much speed due to not enough fuel and was lost). Even now there are launches where they know the booster is going to be lost due to the mission parameters (how much weight to what orbit) and not enough fuel to even try to land it. 

Wow...I really digressed there and got pretty chatty...sorry...I know that is quite rare (GRIN!) What I MEANT to say from the very start is HOORAY!!! I was even a bit teary-eyed at the huge accomplishment today that we all witnessed! It was a HUGE deal! Humans (who just happened to be Americans) launched to the ISS on a private-company rocket! It's a brand new world ladies and gentlemen! Boeing is falling way behind the curve with THEIR human rated capsule (the CST-100 Starliner)...and Blue Origin is even further behind on THEIR human rated capsule New Shepard. Boy, you'd best get going folks! And neither ULA nor Blue Origin has ever landed a booster btw. Blue Origin still hopes to...ULA is just going to continue launching expendable Delta IV and Atlas V rockets. I'd say they are WAY behind already, and getting further behind by the minute. The only reason ULA is soon to still be in business is due to government mandated contracts (they don't want only 1 contract for space launch, too risky even if it costs the taxpayers a LOT of $...SpaceX can WAY underbid ULA due to their proven multi-use rockets).

Anyway, Ya HOO! Americans launched into space FROM America! Yeah for US!

The Game is most definitely ON!

And on a more somber note, we (my brothers and I) just found out that our Dad who lives in an assisted Living facility in Las Vegas was admitted to the hospital last Thursday night with a raging UTI, a fever, and also with breathing issues (they thought he might be having a heart-attack). After being admitted he was tested for (and has been confirmed to have) the Covid-19 virus. So far he is doing ok. He is on 3 liters of oxygen a day (when it gets to 5 he will be admitted to the ICU).  His biggest issue is he is not eating. Antibiotics knocked down the fever, but they have him on IV sustenance as he just refuses to eat. He has dementia so is quite confuses as to where he is and why, he just wants to leave. They have a constant watch on him (he is now restrained) and he wears mittens as he pulls out his IV and trys to leave on a whim. And due to the pandemic there are no visitors allowed...and his hearing aids and cell phone are back at his room in the assisted living facility so we can't even talk to him. They have him very mildly sedated as his heart rate and blood pressure go up quickly whenever anyone enters his room. They are afraid to sedate him any more due to his age (he is 88, turns 89 in July). And that's all we know, and there is absolutely nothing we can do. 

OK...well, that's where we are. We have no idea how he got it (he is one of only 8 in the entire facility he lives at who have now tested positive). And oddly enough, he is the only person my brothers and I know in person who has this virus. But consider that only 1/2 % of the US Population has had it I guess it's no wonder that very few people know anybody who has it (unless you live in a big city, especially NYC). Crazy times we live in for sure. And we (me and my work-crew) are still preparing to travel mid June to both Boulder CO and Cape Canaveral FL. That game is also still ON.

And now that is the end.

12 comments:

  1. So an update on our dad...he took a massive decline yesterday. He was put on "Palliative" care. Didn't even know what that is...(we were on a conference call)...turns out it's similar to Hospice but without the morophine...pretty much keep him as comfortable as possible in his last days thing. His oxygen requirement shot up, but they can't put him on a respirator as he has a DNR and specifically request none of that stuff. So we basicly wait for the phone call at this point...can't go see him, nor even talk to him on the phone. What a shitty situation...and not a damn thing we or anybody else can do about it. And while all this is going on, our country burns...boy, if this isn't all signs of the approaching apocalypse nothing is. Rioters right here in our little town of Santa Maria protested and turned violent last night down at our one and only mall...they broke all the glass, fires, the works. My big bro's son in law is LAPD and was on shift all Saturday night in full riot gear down in Los Angeles trying to keep order and protect life and property, trying to quell the madness down there. And watching it on TV last night around the country...the rioting in DC and all the major cities...just madness. What starts out as a peaceful authentic law-abiding protest is infiltrated and taken over by a bunch of hoodlum-thugs looking for any opportunity to riot and initiate violence. Just my opinion...too bad tho as the protestors have valid grievances which are being lost in the violence. Yep...happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Matt, I'm so sorry about your dad. If Covid had not reared its horrific 'head', would he have lived a few more years or was his time already limited? And once that virus gets into a group living environment of mostly older folks (those 80+), it just seems to wipe it out! I worry constantly about my Mom. So far, there haven't been many cases anywhere in my home county & she constantly complains about not being able to go anywhere. But I keep telling her it's for her SAFETY & she's lucky she doesn't have to venture out.

    What are your plans if your dad passes soon? Can you arrange things by phone/email?

    I will be going into work this Friday & I hope starting next week, one day every week, working up eventually to 2 days/week but other than that, I still go NOWHERE except the grocery store every 3 weeks. However, last week I failed to go out & start my car every couple days & when I did go out, the battery was dead. AAA came & jumped it told me to drive an HOUR (!) so I drove up & down I-270. For the past 5 days, I've started & driven the car for about 2-3 miles in the early AM every day & I guess I'll have to keep doing that. At least it's been nice weather!

    And yes, the country is now truly reflective of the incompetent SOCIOPATH in the WH : hate-filled, violence, onslaught of lies, a pandemic that has killed over 104,000 Americans (on the way to quarter million at least), 30-40 MILLION UNEMPLOYED & a Depression lurking. I support the protesting but ABHOR the violence & looting. And I'm not happy at all the way some police are handling things in their cities. With NO NATIONAL LEADER to actually lead, our country is in flames. And while I can't blame all of this country's racism on Trump, his fraudulent time in the WH is responsible for the escalation of it the past 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, VERY impressed with all your knowledge about the rockets! :) I'm barely able to comprehend (it was in English, correct?) but impressive all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got word just a bit ago that our Dad passed away early this morning. He had been transferred from the hospital to a Hospice facility, and a careworker was with him when he passed. Tho I'm very afraid that I will forever be haunted that none of his boys were with him when he passed, not knowing where he was nor why he was there (due to his dementia). That's a tough pill to swallow so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Matt, I'm so very sorry about your dad. I've been worried for you since I read your post yesterday. This damn virus almost seems to target the elderly specifically. I realize that age group is always at more risk with the 'regular' flu, but this seems far worse.

      And I don't know, but maybe you did inherit some of your dad's "immunity genes" as you always seem a healthy guy! Was he able to eat whatever he wanted too? :)

      And wow, that both of your parents passed on the SAME day two years apart is one of those things that make you go "hmmmmmmm?" My two nieces were BORN on the same day, four years apart & I haven't gotten over that!

      If you want to write up any stories about your dad, I'd love to read them. He must have been a very proud dad to have such great sons!

      When I was a kid & read the stories about the "search for the Fountain of Youth", I always thought those folks were nuts. Now that I'm an "old fart" myself, I understand why some would risk EVERYTHING for something/ ANYTHING that would reverse/stop or at least delay the aging process. More priceless than gold, platinum or diamonds combined. I don't know if I'd want to live forever, but not having your body/mind break down for the last decade or two of your life, sounds pretty awesome to me. Supposedly, new biotech drugs are being developed & tested right now that will "extend human life" in such a way. Here's hoping! :)

      Take care of yourself, Matt. I don't go into churches much these days but I'll figuratively light a candle for your dad.

      Delete
  5. Susie, other than his dementia he was in great health. I may not remember much from recent events, but my memories of long ago are fantastic...and I don't EVER remember our Dad being sick...his immune system was really something and none of us boys got it from him...we catch colds and such like everybody else. I think that a spooky thing is that our Mom passed away two years ago...TODAY. So they both passed on the same day...what are the odds of that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rae, so how are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while...sure hope you and your family are safe and sound, weathering this storm of madness that life has become.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Matt and SusieB -- I am fine just keeping quite busy with homeowner chores; cleaning up the gardens from the flooding 2 weeks ago (my house was not affected, although several nearby had flooded basements), catching up on other chores, and so forth. Because of the terrible weather (rain, heat, freeze, more rain, heat, chilly, repeat..,) my mini orchard seems to have gotten every fungal disease possible and I am resigned to the idea that I will get very little fruit from the blueberries, cherries, and apple. All of the peaches, plums, pears and apricots have been lost. I've been spraying much more than I normally would just to keep the trees from being decimated.

    Matt, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your father and even more the circumstances. I always felt so very badly for the patients with dementia, so frightened and unable to cooperate, and completely unable to comprehend their situation. It is just my opinion, of course, but I think it really was a blessing that your father had decided against mechanical life support. He wouldn't have been able to speak, have a sip of water, or move much at all, with not a great chance of recovery. I hope his last hours were peaceful.
    I have mentioned before with our parent's deaths and so do again that I am firmly convinced of the soul's continuing existence and that it can reach out to us in small ways. Hopefully you will be able to feel your dad's presence from time to time and take comfort in that.

    I have law enforcement people in my family too - one I will admit is quite racist, the other is not, but is exasperated by the unending shootings and murders and no cooperation, even outright obstruction, from the community - even while they demand that "something be done".
    My opinion of the "rioting" is that there were people who just wanted to loot and smash (especially those who came prepared to break into buildings - and not so much concerned with the very appropriate protests. How the police have responded to the protesters, at least initially, has done nothing but prove the point of the protesters too.
    It is so sickening and saddening. At least some "real" Republicans are finally starting to speak up against Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rae, glad you are still doing well...sorry about your weather killing your crops...that's tough (can you imagine being a farmer where your very livelihood depends so much on the weather?) I'm quite sure both my bro's and I are in agreement that his DNR was a good thing (he had it done years ago)...long ago my parents were half owners of a nursing home...my Dad was the administrator, Mom was a co-head nurse...so he had seen enough to know he didn't want to go out like some poor souls do...bedridden, tubes/wires everywhere keeping you alive. The dementia sure made it hard for the hospital staff, I'm sure they were doing the best they could under very difficult circumstances. We are thankful he went quick...it just really hurts that we couldn't be there or even talk to him. Sadly that's how things are right now in the mad mad world.

    As to the looters and such, I agree it was a very small amount of people (criminals) just looking for any excuse to do their evil, and they quickly jumped in with the protesters. I have to say I can't imagine being law enforcement in this country right now tho...the few are making it very difficult (and dangerous) for the good majority. We just had the Sherrifs deputies ambushed the other day up in Fairfield (the murderer was an Air Force Sergeant stationed at Travis AFB). He basically lured them in close (it was reported to the Sheriffs that a man in a van had weapons and explosives) and out of the blue he opened fire and used home-made explosives...killed one and wounded two. Now more than ever in this country being law enforcement means you might literally be saying goodbye forever to your family every time you go to work. We have a lot of problems in this country sadly...and a gov incapable of fixing them. On one hand I can only think that if you are being arrested and you DON'T offer any resistance, then you won't end up with 5 cops sitting on you...and I think that's true no matter what race you are. But maybe I'm naive and have my rose-colored glasses on...that's a distinct possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a conversation in my neighborhood facebook page the other day; there was an incident summer before last in my small suburb, where the patrol officer was trying to pull over a driver (who happened to be a black teen) for no license plate. Many accusations at the time were made re racial profiling - fortunately the dept had the video and posted it _ I watched it at the time - which showed the driver not only ignoring the lights and siren bursts, but speeding through the residential streets and running 3 stop signs. He finally pulled into the HS lot and stopped... said he was late for football practice and didn't notice the officer. The officer did unholster his gun until the kid was out of the car and hands up. And, the kid was cited only for the no plate, no mention of failing to stop x 3 or speeding or failing to pull over. Plus the officer called the boy's parent (also captured on the video) to explain why he was stopped.
    Yet in this conversation, people claimed that the officer "held a gun to the teen's head" and "had no reason to stop him". Along with many assertions that the PD was "always" stopping black drivers for "no reason".
    This sort of thing really irritates me. The (white) people making these claims don't realize that police are killed and injured in traffic stops more than any other time - the reason for having the weapon ready until he is sure it is okay. And people are managing to ignore the many police officers of all races who have been targeted, and killed, in the past several years.
    "Activists" have been bringing up the death of a 13 year old a few years ago, "murdered" by the police officer - and ignoring that the kid had a gun, had just robbed someone at gunpoint, was out late at night with adult also involved in the robbery, and pulled the gun out while the officer was trying to apprehend him.
    And we hear nothing about the nearly DAILY shootings, and an average of 2 murders every week, mostly in the black community and often by kids under 18 years old here in Columbus.
    STILL, I have witnessed and personally experienced officers being unnecessarily hostile, or perhaps the right phrase is "overly assertive". Some of them seem to have a hair trigger for aggressively physically restraining. And when an officer is using lethal force for a minor infraction there is never any kind of excuse, no matter how under siege in general the officers are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And so....we are ready to travel out INTO the pandemic (not too excited about this). The first aircraft is SUPPOSED to fly in today, tomorrow we load the container, Sunday the 2nd aircraft arrives and is loaded Monday morning, and then if all goes well we fly to Denver at 10am. IF all goes according to plan (like THAT'S going to happen) we will fly to the Cape on July 5th, and then finally back home on the 12th of July. It's distressing to see the virus cases increasing pretty much everywhere, and we are going to be out in it. I plan to buy a bunch of food and pretty much isolate myself in my room and work...(when I say food I mean things like King Crab, Steaks, Scallops...GOOD STUFF!) I am on use-it-or-lose-it per-diem...I plan to spend ever penny and live like a King...or maybe more like a dethroned king that's been sent into hiding in fear for his life....yeah...that sounds about right. Anyway, it's just about GAME TIME! It's TIME TO MAKE THE DONUTS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I'm in Boulder. So far so good...the planes both worked fine and we made it here on schedule, woo-hoo! And I have to admit I'm impressed with how CO is handling the Covid situation...I was worried but my fears (at least here in CO) are unfounded...everybody is wearing masks, keeping good distances, restaurants are open but takeout only (as far as I know). I had a tasty dinner delivered right to my room...that was awesome! I'm now STUFFED, and then had to run across the street for a few groceries...(coffee, creamer, purified water, grapefruit), that will get me thru the morning and I will get the rest of my groceries tomorrow (we will be working 2nd shift thru the weekend, so don't have to be at work till 6pm). OK...oh, and wonderful weather here in Bolder...it was 91 today but crispy dry...felt pretty nice actually! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete