Sunday, June 21, 2020

Three Peaks Loop hike, Boulder

So yesterday (Saturday) we had the entire day off, Woo-HOO! It rained the prior two days, and then lo and behold Saturday dawned sunny, but not as hot as the previous sunny days last week...as in PERFECT for hiking! The guys at work had told me about a phone-App called All Trails, where you search for and find trails near you. You can then download the map right onto your phone, and then (with the annual paid subscription) simply hit RECORD on the app, and it puts your location on your downloaded map as you hike! (the free version lets you find and download maps, but it wont show you where you are on it). AND...it tells you pretty quickly if you are off-route! So I loaded the app on Friday and went ahead and got the annual subscription, and yesterday gave it a test. It worked pretty great! In fact, without it there is no doubt that I wouldn't have been able to do that hike...as I went off route a number of times and was steered back by the app (your phone has to have GPS reception enabled...which I found out doesn't work too well if you put it back in your pocket...however when I did pull it out and call up the app the GPS would sync quick and show me where I was). I was out nearly all day, and the weather was just perfect...T shirt, shorts, and my small travel backpack with 6 bottles of water and all the various food items I could scrounge up from my hotel room.

And so....here are some pics from the hike:

 The trail to the first peak (Green Mountain) quickly turned to rocks.


 This was new: a ladder over a near vertical bit. 


 A nice view of Boulder from the trail.


 Yep....lots and lots of rocks.


 The first of days three peaks: Green Mountain summit. After the trail being pretty deserted, suddenly it was like a party on the summit...I would have liked to climb up on the rocks for a picture but these people were really taking their time, so I just moved on.


 Here are the 2nd and 3rd peaks of the day: Bear Peak on the left, and South Boulder Peak on the right.



 Here you can see the trail going up to Bear Peak.


 From the trail to Bear Peak looking back at Green Mountain (the summit is the furthest little point on the left).


The trail to Bear Peak getting interesting. 

 
Yeah...this is actually a picture of the trail...pretty hard to follow as it looks a lot like all the other rocks around it.


 More rocks that are somehow part of the trail.


 Here you can see the degree of steepness as the trail switchbacks up to the top.


 And finally the final scramble to the summit up a knife-edge of rather slippery rocks. The other side of the rocks (on the right) is a vertical drop...did I mention I'm kind of afraid of heights? I stay well clear of the edge as I don't even like to look over the edge.


 Heading down off the summit peak...the entire top was quite steep on all sides.


 This shot shows the knife-edge of the peak a bit better. You actually walk right on that rock in the middle of the picture...and you do NOT want to slip.


 Now I'm heading over to peak #3: South Boulder Peak.


 The trail between the 2 peaks is wonderful. Here I'm looking at South Boulder Peak.


 Nearing the top of South Boulder. Here the trail is gone, you just scramble over the rocks anywhere you can.


 The highest point of the summit. Again, a sheer drop lies on the other side of these rocks.


 Looking back across to Bear Peak (just to the right of the dead tree) and Green Mountain (the distant peak to the left of the pic).


 The only selfie I took the entire hike: on the South Boulder summit with Bear Peak just over my shoulder.


 Looking back up at South Boulder Peak. Not much there but a bunch of rocks.


 Looking down at the Devils Thumb rock formation (center of the picture). This view is in between the two final peaks.


 On the Shadow Canyon trail headed down. The trail is great up here, a real yellow brick road!


 A better picture of the Devils Thumb rock formation. 


 The Shadow Canyon trail has turned ugly...rocks rocks rocks, with some pretty huge stepping down required. I quickly found a hiking stick to help with the descent...which is only a bit over a mile, but felt like much more to my old knees.


 The trail is somewhere in this picture. Its not pretty I can assure you. My knees were not happy.


 The trail of tears (from me at least).






Here they put railroad-ties with notches cut out to help with the steep slippery rocks spot.


 Another cool rock formation (don't know the name of this one). Here I'm down off the Shadow Canyon descent with about a 4 mile hike back to the start remaining. 


 Another view looking back at that rock spire. Its really pretty in here.


 Looking back, the Shadow Canyon trail is on the far side of the mountain on the left of the picture.


And finally I'm nearing the end, total mileage 14.5, just under 7 hours moving time, with just under 5000 feet of climbing. And two very sore knees. I can go up all day long, but the down kills me! But I survived, and it was a rather epic day with perfect weather. Not a bad way to spend a day off.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, Matt! ALL those ROCKS! Back in my summer camp days (16 years), we hiked a bunch, but none of our trails ever had such BIG rocks to climb over on the trails. LOVED the pics! Question - the areas with the tall skinny, bare trees - had fire gone thru that area years before or do the tress always look like that? I realize the Rockies are higher elevation than the Blue Ridge & Appalachian mts that I used to hike, but I don't think I remember trees quite like that. Interesting!

    How much longer are you in CO? Where do you go next? I hope it's NOT Florida as their cases are really ramping up.

    I go into my office one day a week these days (started this month). I keep my office door closed & I can ALMOST forget the craziness. I've been in 4 times since 3/23 & finally saw another person last week on my floor. It's like the years I used to work on Saturdays. I MISS being in my office SO MUCH! But, I'm also scared too whenever I'm actually outside my office & in the area copy room/bathroom (i.e. the shared spaces). Only 20% of employees are allowed in the buildings on a given day & we all wear masks when in common areas. And only 2 people per elevator (I will not get on with ANYone else).

    I see the folks on TV & Ocean City, MD boardwalk LIVE cams (my go-to check during summer months) & am dumbfounded at the amount of people walking around withOUT masks & close to others. CRAZY!

    Stay safe, Matt & keep giving us pics & posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susie...sure seems like a lot of rocks here..certainly different than the Sierra Nevada's (where my big bro and I backpack...the John Muir trail and such). As to the dead trees, I figure its one of 2 things: either a disease wiped them out, or it was a fast moving fire that didn't totally burn the trees down. Id probably guess the fire...not a ton of fuel..just the grass and trees, so the pine trees would burn quick.

      As to how long we are here, we fly out on the 5th of July when yes, we are heading back to FL (the Cape). Not real happy about that...but I will do what I'm doing here...self-proscribed prison work-releae (I go to work, then back to my prison cell/hotel room...except for groceries and hikes that is). Im either making all my meals in my room, or a few times I use Door-Dash and have a meal delivered right to my room (they leave it outside my door and knock to let me know its here). I'm not too worried here in CO...they seem to really get it...everybody has masks and is very respectful, even out on the trails...when you come up on someone we put up our masks and pass with a kind howdy, and after passing masks come back down. And even here in the hotel nearly everybody wears masks when walking around (their Governor made it required...masks when in any public places). I'm sure FL isn't like that...which explains why they are spiking again. Back in March when we were there it was like nothing was going on, but that was still the early days..they didn't get serious until right after we came home. Hopefully they are doing better now...will find out soon enough. I know Jeannie is still working at home (her office is set up on our dining room table). Not sure when (if ever?) she will go back to her office...some of her co-workers just don't get it, and she isn't in any hurry to go back. I cant imagine it personally tho (working from home)...no human interaction would be very lonely...that's a big part of being IN the office. I know Jeannie misses it to some extent...but she now has a great routine taking our monsters out for a walk EVERY day...they LOVE IT! (if/when she goes back to work they will have separation anxiety! They haven't been alone for more than a few hours since mid March!) I installed a Ring doorbell that I got us over the holidays, and its pretty cool...I get an alert every time she goes in/out and I can see the video...Sophie jumping like a fish on a line as she is SO excited she just cant contain herself...and Abby just stands there in her harness and leash like a little angel (which is NOT the case...she is a MONSTER! Just a very CUTE Monster).

      Well..gotta run..going out for gas and groceries...then back to prison (thankfully my prison has a hot-tub..almost nobody uses it so I feel like its my personal space! And they keep it real hot...and its salt-water, not chlorine! Love that!) Stay safe over there...one day this will be over and we will have a new-normal. I know a lot of small restaurants and stores wont survive this sadly. Im just resting the knees up and looking for a new epic trail to hike.

      Delete
  2. Hey Matt - I was in my office on Wed & able to see your glorious photos on my BIG PC monitor & just SO gorgeous! I wasn't able to comment till now as I always have SO much I try to do on the one day/week I've been able to be in my office this month. With the EXPECTED huge escalation in cases now happening, I don't know if I'll be able to keep doing it.

    Anyhoo, I was looking at my 2020 datebook as I do every weekday morning & I just noticed the crossed-out "TDF GRAND DEPART" I had written in for tomorrow. Wow, I'd actually forgotten that this year's TDF was supposed to start 6/27! Do you think the rescheduled TDF will REALLY happen? The way things are going right now, I sadly don't know how. I'm at the point now where I'm panicky for the future - Xmas, winter, etc & feel "it's never gonna end!" It's similar to the panic/depression I feel after it's rained 3 straight days & this wave of illogical panic/depression sweeps over me. Up till now, I'd been worried about the PRESENT but optimistically believed things would "eventually go back to normal" but I guess I've reached my own personal tipping point. How about you? Can you TALK ME OFF THE LEDGE (well, the 'ledge' inside my house)?

    Is there any way your company could DELAY the trip to FL - the current HOTSPOT? I really think they should rethink their plan! If you go, PLEASE update us daily that you're ok.

    And hey, Rae - please let us know how you're doing. I look at the Johns Hopkins site every day & actually keep track of certain states & while OH has had much lower # of cases than MD (despite a MUCH bigger population!), it seems your numbers are rising, so be extra safe. You're probably being all industrious & getting loads of home projects done while I mostly sit as a lump on the weekends. :) I AM finally going through stacks of old mags & printed papers & it is exhausting! I keep a lot of paper! Old Olympics, TDF & NBA Playoff articles mixed in with tons of financial/investing reports & articles. If you want to know some stats on Retirement savings, I'm your gal! (Newsflash - we Baby Boomers were in piss-poor retirement-savings shape BEFORE Covid!)

    Well, gotta run. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susie....I just don't see any way there will be a TDF this year. It is sad that it was GOING to be underway right now! Stupid virus! We just don't know how long this is going to go on...I'm trying to be optimistic that a whole lot more people have had this already than suspected...for all I know Ive already had it (back in our February mission down in El Segundo half our crew was sick, some pretty serious (not hospitalized tho)...and even back last year in Dec we had something not quite normal going around. MAYBE it was an early version, way before China had admitted it was out and about in their country.

      Anyhoo...no way to delay...we are out the door on the road back to Buckley AFB tonight (takes us 3 nights to get there)...we have a few margin days in our schedule, but as long as we are loaded on the aircraft by next Saturday then we fly on Sunday (a week from today). And yep...what little news Ive seen is rather depressing as to Florida...thankfully their real problems are down south (Miami-Dade county)..we will be in Brevard county (Cape Canaveral). And even tho things are pretty good here in Boulder, Ive been practicing...Ive only been inside ONE restaurant (IHOP...twice). I was almost the only one in there (a few others straggled in but there was walls and lots of distance between the few of us). FL wont be like that Im afraid...I will be sticking w/ my grocery shopping and cooking in the hotel (Ive become a master on the outside grill here...sweet potatoes, zucchini-squash, corn on the cob, rib-eye and t-bone steaks, king crab and lobsters, bacon wrapped scallops (tried those last night as appetizers...pretty tasty!), various fish fillets, and tonight I have bacon wrapped shrimp/jalapeno popper-thinggees to try out with my king crab...I figure Im on per-Diem (use it or lose it) and that its all my work-release-prison meals, so Im spending it ALL as best I can...sure don't eat like this at home! Might as well live it up while Im on the road.

      OK...gotta go make dinner, then get ready to go to work (go in at 10pm tonight, ugh). Have a good week, stay safe...you too Rae!

      Delete