Sunday, July 29, 2018

And it's all over but for the crying

Stage 21 is done and done. Kristoff wins a CLOSE sprint on the Champs. Sagan looked to be in contention but didn't really even mix it up in the last few hundred meters. That crash took a lot out of him, including a new points record he would have EASILY shattered. Then we had Taylor Phinney, sheepishly (in the morning interview before the stage) acting like he was out of it, and then BAM he's in the breakaway, and not just IN it but an integral part of it! It was looking real good, but you just knew 6 guys can't hold that pace for 7 laps, and they couldn't.

Sky safely brought G across the line, continuing the Sky dynasty. "Anybody but Foome" did win. And yet I kind of feel bad for him .We will never know how this would have turned out if he hadn't tried for the Giro/Tour double. And it's funny but proven true once again (that old saying that "you can't win the Tour today, but you can lose it"). Froome lost it in Stage 1 of all places. That errant 'off the road' crash that wasn't even his fault...he was forced off the road on that left turn, SO very nearly clipping that post (boy did he dodge a bullet there!) Giving credit where credit is due, he never whined or cried or threw blame around at his misfortune...yet his only fault in the situation was his position on the outside. And it cost him any chance of his 5th Tour victory by losing time he could never make up, on his own team-mate of all people.

So where does Sky go from here? Is G the New Steve Young, Montana suddenly put out to pasture even though he still has playing years left?  (come on...he lost the final TT to Dumolin, the WORLD CHAMP, by ONE SECOND!) (ooh..and I'm sorry to throw an NFL comparison out there, considering that I'm still boycotting them until they get their ducks in a row w/ the National Anthem....like Baseball, or Hockey..do you see ANY of those guys staying in the locker room, or taking a knee? NO!) But I guess it's the NEW NFL that I have a problem with, not the old. Froome cracked back on Stage 17 when it was on the line, and G did not. G won on the Alp (that is HUGE! And Phil said it over and over....you win on the Alp d'Huez, you win in Paris...and turns out he was RIGHT!)

Lots of great memories from this Tour (I'm currently compiling a post of pictures from all stages to post in the next few days). I have to say I TRULY enjoyed it...ALL of it.  There's just no greater sporting event in the world...the spectacle, the drama, the action, the danger, the glory...and the SCENERY! I did love during the Stage 21 broadcast they finally gave us a taste of showing what it takes to put on the NBCSports Tour for 21 days...showed inside their control booth, the TWO mobile studios, the miles and miles of cables...all the PEOPLE! SO much work...all to put in a couple hours of TV for 3 weeks. If I had faster internet (we only have lame DSL but it's cheap) I'd opt for the
NBC Gold for a year...I could watch OTHER races (GASP! Is that LEGAL?) But hey...I get a years worth out of these 3 weeks...I don't miss much I can tell you. And now that it's over, I regret any FF'ing thru the stages...who knows what pearls of wisdom I missed from the fantastic broadcasting crew they've assembled! P&P, Paul, Bobke, Christian, Jens, and Steve and Steve...truly the A team of sports broadcasting...and I have to give it to NBC for the rest of the people behind the scenes that we will never know...kudso  and well done NBC! It was another fantastic broadcast in it's entirety!

So begins the PTDS for another year...but I can get my LIFE back and get back on the bike(s) again too. Along w/ the annual PTDS is the PJDS..(Post July Depression Syndrome)...as July is also gone. We started the Tour a week late this year, and It will be August on Wednesday! Summer is just about gone all of a sudden!

Please post your memories...good and bad. My fav is I think also the Dumolin stage win and his interview after...if THAT didn't bring tears to your eyes, nothing will. The bad? I think the Gilbert crash was one of them...and then there's the interview w/ Lawson Craddock right after Stage 1...when he was so broken up he couldn't talk...and then finally eeks out "I worked so hard to get here"...man, that also brings tears to my eyes. That he FINISHED in Paris turned one of the worst moments into one of the best! Then there is the awesome memories of Dan the MAN attacking to his solo win! Never seen anybody try harder, that's for sure. I LOVE it that he was awarded the "Most Aggressive Rider" for the entire Tour, how fitting! Movistar wins the Team award, and IF there was an award for "Most Aggressive Team", I'd give that to them also! Can't take anything away from Valverde...he gave his all for his teammates Landa and Quintana!

I Still give the "lame ass" award to BMC and Ochowitz (sp?) in NOT protecting Richie Porte in Stage 9. I'd have had GVA RIGHT IN FRONT of Porte w/ TJ right behind Richie. But no...he let GVA fly to TRY to win a stage, and to also try to keep yellow (which he did...for ONE more day). BOO HISS! Why did you even BRING Porte then? You THREW HIM to the wolves when you needed GVA's guidance and experience the MOST, and lost your BEST chance at a podium finish (actually lost BOTH chances at a podium finish). We will NEVER know how Richie might have fared had he gotten thru the stage unscathed. Hell, Quintana even got thru, and he's TINY! He had Valverde with him most of the Tour. THAT whole thing still sticks in my craw, and I'll NOT be rooting for BMC next year (and seriously, does he think GVA is a true Tour GC contender? I just don't really see it).

OK. I'm tired. I can start to catch up on sleep. And getting things done that I've neglected or flat out ignored. And ride. A LOT.

Viva le Tour!

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt. I've been trying to get here to answer your question since Monday but stuff keeps interfering at work. Hopefully tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete