Sunday, July 8, 2018

It's TOUR TIME!

Yes, it's THAT time of year again...HOORAY! (that coincidentally it's deep into summer and HEAT, not so much hooray).

Stage 1 and 2 are in the history books. Gosh...so much to talk about. First...did everybody make your NBC Sports fantasy team? I did...and then after watching Stage 1 I made 2 changes: first I picked Fernando Gavria as one of my sprinters (I knew I should have picked him at the start but didn't for some odd reason). Second, I HAD selected Cav, and I dropped him for Gavria. Why you ask?

Well...during the stage they showed an interview and he STILL blames Sagan for his crash last year! Hell Bells man...even the UCI (arguably one of the most screwed up organizations I know of ) admits they made a mistake DQ'ing him last year, that it was just part of racing and not intentional. Take some responsibility for your own actions and grow up Cav! Then on Todays stage (2) they showed a clip from a number of years ago when it was Cav and another sprinter who was trying to edge past Cav on the wall, and when he was squeezed out Cav said that no sprinter should ever try to pass along the wall, that it's irresponsible and his own fault whatever happens. Isn't that interesting. But when HE does it, it's not his fault, it's the other guys. Yep...lost my respect for Cav yesterday...last year during the heat of the moment I can forgive that...but after all this time, no. I WAS hoping he'd get some more wins this year and challenge for the all time record...but now, not so much. He's a whiner, pure and simple. Nothing is ever his fault. Not a fan of that attitude at all. I mean, hey, even Froome (who was driven off the edge of the road yesterday close to the end of the stage, costing him over a minute on some of his key rivals in Stage ONE of all places) didn't throw ANY blame out whatsoever, even tho he did nothing wrong that I could see. Watching that video taken from one of the motorbikes behind him, he came w/in inches of hitting one of those immovable white poles as he shot off the road on that corner! Goodness gracious....THAT would have been the end of his Tour for sure and who knows how hurt he'd be! It was just a miracle he missed it, as it happened so fast.

And so... moving on...Gavria and Sagan 1/2 yesterday in a wide open bunch sprint. Wow! I think Sagan will light up this years Tour in so many ways! And that Gavria is built much like Sagan...not necessarily a pure sprinter but able to climb too...those 2 guys will really be something to watch as they battle for the overall Green jersey this year! And hey...let's talk about Lawson Craddock! Not a sport for sissies, that's for sure! That he finished yesterday AND today, way to go! I'm a fan for sure!

Today (stage 2) was more carnage and excitement as expected. Crashes, yep. Even w/ less riders, the narrow roads and fighting for position take their toll once again. A few crashes resulting in riders dropping out....Luis Leon Sanchez comes to mind, which was a huge blow for his team. Then the crash close to the finish, splitting off some of the main sprinters (including Gavria) from the final run. How Sagan made it by that is beyond me...Gavria was right on his wheel last I had seen...and then he's on the ground and Sagan is free and clear somehow! And poor Kittel wearing the green w/ a flat lost his chance even before the crash...that's just bad luck there. Also early in the stage they showed Sagan NOT wearing the green...and they explained the World Champ has a choice, and he chose to wear his Rainbow Stripes (thus #3 Kittel wore it)...GOOD DECISION! Pretty amazing that the last time a stage finished in that city it was the world champ who won it (in 1938 I think they said?)....what are the odds of the CURRENT World Champ winning again?? AMAZING!! (and boy was it close at the end too!)

So tomorrow is the TTT...always a great event for SOME of the GC guys, and a complete disaster for others. Speaking of disaster for GC guys...how about Quintana in Stage 1? Ran over a curb or something he said, wrecked both wheels...lost what, 1:25 overall? I think that spells the end of HIS GC chance...if he had any chance to make up time in the TT's I say he has a shot still, but he will lose MORE in the TT's...and w/ Landa on his squad AND Valverde, I think his chance once again evaporated in a moment. I"m rooting (and had picked in my original fantasy team) Landa to podium. He was AMAZING last year on Sky, leading the way for Froome in the mountains, AND he can TT w/ the best of them! I think he's a real threat to podium.

Loved seeing Sylvian on the front the whole way today, even after the other 2 guys chickened out and pulled back into the peleton WAY too early...(that's NOT how you make a name for yourself young guys!)  Riding a record 18th Tour, and in front almost the entire way, almost all of it solo. That will be remembered, and is a nice way to end it IF this is indeed his final tour.

What else...sheesh, at the moment I can't think of anything, even tho there's a TON to talk about!

I'll add more or put it in the comments when I think of it.

Happy Tour everybody!

Game ON!

7 comments:

  1. I've got a fantasy team at NBCSN also-- still debating whether to make any changes now before it gets locked in tomorrow. I'm wondering if Bob Jungels will be the dark horse this year; I have the idea that he has been steadily improving the past season or two. I added Dan Martin after reviewing the rules (points are for the top 15 in each stage, and he has been consistent there although never quite a threat) but maybe I'll switch him out. I have Izaguirre and Terpstra too that perhaps I should switch out (Terpstra just because I like him, Izaguirre for the potential of a stage win) but I don't quite know who for.

    Woo-hoo, after today's TTT Tejay is in 2nd place! Not that I expect him to stay there. However, Geraint T. in 3rd I think could be a real threat.

    THe TTTs are a beautiful stage to watch! I wonder why AG2R just can't get it mastered -- isn't that the team that went off the road as a body in the TTT a few years ago?

    More than competition with Landa, I wonder if Valverde just isn't ready to relinquish his status as team leader. Look at his results so far this year -- and he is very popular in Spain, and has been a linchpin of Movistar for years. The commentators remarked that if Quintana were Spanish, the team leadership would not be a question. I wonder.

    And after today I really understand Craddock's nickname: Bulldog! Glad the team pulled off a good TTT!

    Oh, about Cav -- I've felt this way about him since witnessing his behavior at the Tour of Missouri way back in 2009. He made it clear, behind the podium (where I happened to be standing) for the stage that he had just won that he did NOT want to be racing Missouri. His attitude toward Bob Stapleton was, as you say, childish, and I really think that his defection (which I blamed on his desire to be the #1 at all times on the team along with wanting more money- which he was also very vocal about IIR) had a lot to do with the failure to find a new sponsor for that very successful team. Justice paid back a little though since he was not happy at Sky (even though he continued his winning and had a big salary) because he wasn't the biggest fish.

    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year since 2006, I wonder if I'll really get excited over watching that July's TDF & every year, once the TV coverage starts, I DO! I even get teary when I hear the music, see Bobke & CVV & hear P2! I LOVE that NBCSN brings back most of the same gang year after year. It's like a family reunion (one that I actually WANT to go to!) for me every July! :)

    Anyhoo, Saturday was fabulous even though the usual 1st week carnage commenced early this year. I've decided I do NOT like the 8-man teams & think the Grand Tours should consist of no more than 20 teams (18 or 19 even better) of 9 riders each. And after the past 10 years or so, I think the ASO PLANS for carnage in the 1st week so as to whittle down the overcrowding that THEY create by having so many FRENCH wildcard teams! Why else would they pick such narrow, twisty roads?

    I must say I did hoot & cheer when I heard & then saw that Froome went off the road. I don't want him severely injured but I'm still so pissed at how that case was "resolved" & at the never ending arrogance of Dave Brailsford. Unfortunately, Richie was also held up by one of those crashes & poor Quintana seems to be cursed by this race these last 3 years. I was originally shocked & disgusted that NO teammates were around to help Quintana but this morning I heard that Q told the one teammate that was with him to GO ON. Why the heck would be do that? Even if he couldn't swap bikes, he'd need him to help him get back. VERY odd.

    At this point, it's looking like the sprints (a lot this year) will be fought mostly between Gaviria & Sagan. (BTW, what's with those weird "bonus" seconds on stages 1- 9 (except TTT)? I think they are totally unnecessary.) Does anyone else think Sagan is looking a little heavy this year? (Heavy for a cyclist not a REGULAR person). So far, I haven't seen Cav at all in the sprints - don't know if he crashed or just got caught up behind a crash. (continued below)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (continued from above)

    About Cav - yes, this guy was a JERK for his early years in the pro ranks & probably before. Probably a combination of not many people early on believing he'd ever make it as a pro & then suddenly winning EVERYTHING. Think about it - You've got a chip (more like a boulder) on the shoulder & suddenly everyone's kissing your ass - imagine how that messes with your head. And he's still hardly the sweetest, nicest, most thoughtful athlete one can come across but he has MATURED a TON these past 5-7 years, don't you all think? I think he does really have a good heart, but he can make it difficult to see at times.

    And Matt, I'm thinking you're a bit too hard on him. (Also, I guess you missed my comment last week about Cav telling his view of last year's "incident" in NBC's preview show). I actually agree that Sagan was responsible for Cav going into the barrier although I thought it ridiculous to throw him out of the race. As for Cav's feelings, that crash wrecked the rest of his season & could be at least partly responsible for how things are going this year. Plus, last year MAY have been his last chance to rack up multiple TDF wins & finally tie or surpass Merckx (his sole goal the past few years). So that crash was not just a "regular crash" for him, it comes with a LOT of emotional baggage. And he HAS admitted when he's been at fault (not often, granted ).

    Also, even though Cav spoke against going up along the barrier side in a sprint, that quote was from years ago, when he hadn't raced at this top level for as many years as he has now. Sometimes shit just happens! Especially in a sprint, my goodness, sprinters or their lead-out guys are going ALL OVER the road, trying to get behind a certain person's wheel or away from someone else's or just looking for "the best line". I'm ALWAYS amazed more crashes don't happen! Anyhoo, holding what someone said 5-10 years ago against them can be tricky. Heck, I once swore I'd NEVER root for "that jerk Cav". :) And I was so angry as Contador after 2009-2011, I swore I'd always detest him. Hah, by 2013 or so, I was ROOTING for him at the Tour!

    I actually worry about Cav. You know how sprinter's careers go - they have it & then, boom, they don't. And NO top athlete EVER sees or admits their peak is over, let alone their basic ability. Sports are kinda cruel in that once you've LEARNED & mastered everything about your sport, your body starts breaking down. And most elite athletes' sole view of themselves is as WINNING athletes. When that's gone, they have to build entire new self-identities. Many don't handle the transition well - drink, drugs, gambling, business risks, divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually intrigued at why Kittel is not as dominant as he was just last year. Heck, he's 5 or so years YOUNGER than Cav. Was he just a product of a super strong train? I guess that's too harsh, most sprinters need a strong train or at least a fab lead-out guy. Still, he COMPLETELY dominated here just last year (5 wins!) & had the Green jersey wrapped up until he crashed out that last week. And so far, I think his best is 3rd (& not that close). Has he been sick or injured this year? I heard/read that Cav's been injured a lot this year so maybe Kittel has too?

    I LOVED that BMC won the TTT yesterday! Of course, I'd have been happy if ANYONE other than Sky won, but seeing that team win at what looks like their final Tour makes me teary. Plus, Richie made up some time! BTW, I do NOT understand why Van Avermaet is allowed to "ride for himself". Do they want to win the Tour or not?! There are only 8 riders this year, a GC team needs EVERY SINGLE ONE working TOGETHER!

    I was happy for Sunweb too & that Dumoulin is siting in fine shape. However, can a guy who gave so much of himself at the Giro come back & win the Tour? That's why I also would not bet on Froome this year. Even if I were so inclined. :)

    Oh, & Matt - I wish you didn't like Landa! Don't you remember how he bitched & whined last year AT THE TOUR that he couldn't ride for himself? I may hate Sky but if your ONE JOB (& the sole reason you are paid & put on this team) is to support another rider who is LEADING the f*kin race, then shut up & DO YOUR JOB! Geeze, I was so disgusted at him last year.

    Finally, do ya'll think Lawson will actually be able to make it to the end of Stage 9 (those cobbles!)? I don't know how he's even made it this far with a broken scapula! Anybody (Rae?) know how long that takes to heal up at least to the point you're not in intense pain?

    Alrighty, I've got to go. See you tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stage 4 is in the books...wow! What an exciting finish! Jensie was quite comical the last 15k...yep...I've got this (saying the break would stay away). He is really quite comical the entire stage, love that they picked him up and keep him year after year....agree Susie the "family" is pretty awesome! I think back thru the years...Troutface, bull-rid-announcer guy among others stick out (can't even remember his name...just like I didn't remember about Landa too..(the good part about not remembering much). I'm NOT rooting for Froome...pretty much ANYBODY else..but I did pick him cuz hey...he's Froome, and tired from the Giro or not, I think he's got pretty good odds still (we will see how things go after Stage 9 tho...it was the cobble stage he crashed out on back in 2014 I think). Just don't see him having a smokin hot day. I'd love to see Porte come on give a HUGE challenge...also Uran and Dumolin (why I picked them also). Heck...I just want anybody to challenge the domination of Sky. And hey, what is up w/ Cav? Is he folding? He was in PERFECT position w/ team leading out today, and he just flat out disappeared in the in the last 500m. Gavria looks like the real deal, and that it was Sagan taking 2nd in a "PURE SPRINT"...usually he'd be 3rd or 4th...as you also said Susie, what's up w/ Kittel? HE should have been there too. Crazy year so far....a tour Rookie now has 2 wins...the rest of the pure sprinters folding (Sagan is NOT a pure sprinter...or at least he hasn't been in the past). I think he lost 2 or 3 lbs when he cut his hair! Maybe that's his difference! And less wind resistance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyway....tomorrow (Stage 5) will be a good shakeout to see what's up w/ the climbers. Oh wait, I didn't even talk about the TTT! Loved it...the TTT is always such a nice stage (I bet a LOT of riders don't feel that way!). Poor AG2R...they just SUCK at that discipline...glad I didn't pick Frenchie...cuz I thought about it (I had a feeling he was going to take a beating this year w/ all the other challengers and his not really very strong team). BMC was pretty awesome...and how about Lawson Craddock hanging on till near the end?? His injuries are nothing the same, but still he reminds me of Johnny Hoogerland hanging in day after day...everybody remembers THAT crash! I did love Taylors video today featuring Lawson getting his "neck cracking" from the team Chiropractor. I was actually jealous...w/ my neck injuries from years ago I can attest how AWESOME a chiropractor can make your neck feel (and also how much pain they can inflict along the way). Back to the TTT...poor Nibbles...his team SUCKS! I almost picked him also as I think he really could challenge for podium, but his new team is pretty suspect. He'd have been better off w/ Astana IMO. But we will see. He is still a threat, no doubt about that. Same for Valverde...maybe be old but not someone to trifle w/ and let out of your sites. Now that Quintana is 'out' it comes down to Landa and V...which will recieve total team support?? I do remember Landa KILLING IT on the front for Froome...hey, I remember Froome not very happy about leading Wiggens (and the stage he attacked him?) Tough call when the tempo guy is possibly stronger than the protected leader (think all the way back to Lemond). Such is the nature of the sport...teams find the best help they can, and inadvertently now and then the hired gun will be better than the guy they are protecting.
    OK..gotta get to bed...tomorrows stage will be a long one and I intend to watch every minute! (July is my annual sleep-deprivation month). I also hope to sneak in a short 2 hour ride after work, further cutting into my TDF viewing time. Good night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt so sorry for Cav yesterday! He was completely cut off by Groenwegen (sp?)! In fact, it could have ended horribly but luckily, Cav was able to stay on the bike & not swerve it to hit anyone else. And I'm thinking THAT stage was probably one that he had marked as perfect for him. sigh.

    I guess Gaviria is the new sprint King. Or maybe he's just having a REALLY great week. He does have the best train but he seems superfast no matter what. And he's so young! He'll be around for at least 8-10 years I guess. And it's really fun that there's can actual CONTEST for the Green jersey this year!

    Hey, anyone else notice one HUGE difference in Brittany than the rest of France? (Not counting their flag). They don't have the ubiquitous red clay-tile roofs! Wonder why not. Anyone know?

    I can't wait to get home to watch tonight's coverage. Another sunny day (whoop, whoop!) & lots of rolling terrain! I hope Lawson was able to hang on another day.

    I'm on pins & needles right now as England is playing Croatia in today's WC Semifinal (unfortunately, my other team Belgium lost to France yesterday in theirs, but HEY, both my chosen teams made it all the way to the Semis!) & it's all tied up at the end of regulation & NOW they play an extra 30 minutes! I think you can only do 3 substitutions in that sport so your guys better be in shape!

    I also love seeing all of the various countries' video footage of their fans celebrating en masse back home but I HATE this new phenomenon of throwing the beer around! It's even started in the stands at the games now. YUCK!

    Well, gotta run. Tomorrow should be exciting as supposedly the stage is like one of the Classics. Guess that means all the sprinters will be in the "bus", even Sagan. Although, maybe he can actually stay with those guys until the last big hill.

    ReplyDelete