Monday, June 11, 2018

Trek Checkpoint (now with pictures added on 6/17)

In case you don't know what a Trek Checkpoint is, well...it's the new model of "gravel bike" from Trek. And it's also MY new bike!

HOORAY!!! I GOT A NEW BIKE!!!

The new Trek Checkpoint SL6 with ME, the proud and ecstatically happy owner!

For a lot of people I guess getting a "new" bike happens every few years. Not so for me. I've bought all my bikes 'used', at least for the last 35 years or so. Thinking back to when I last bought a NEW bike, I was still a kid, and it was a Schwinn Stingray (red 5 speed). And I'm pretty sure the year was 1970.

I did buy a "new" sort-of-mountain-bike back in Hawaii as a young Navy lad. This was when Mt biking was new, and the Specialized Stumpjumper was THE bike to have...and if you couldn't afford that you got the little brother "RockHopper". I thought it was ludicrous to spend what either of those bikes cost (like right at $1000 back in 1984/85!!!), so I got a Chinese piece of junk for like $150 at the Navy Exchange. It wasn't even a real Mt bike, and that's OK as I didn't do real Mt biking on it...I only used it to ride to/from the Pearl Harbor ferry boat (took me out to Ford Island where I worked), and that was on paved bike-paths and roads. And that's about all this bike was good for...to go on actual dirt wold have been quite scary. IMO this bike doesn't even count as a bike...it was right in there (or maybe below) Huffy quality.

Since then, zippo...not-a. My "new" (to me) Cannondale Scalpel that I bought 2 1-2 years ago (after getting hit by that bull on my old Mt bike causing the frame to crack...TWICE) was a 1 year old shop Demo bike. Still it was/is a great bike and a great deal. But THIS...this is a brand new model. Trek's first REAL foray into the recreational Gravel world. It's got the brand NEW full Shimano Ultegra 11 speed drivetrain with the new Shadow rear derailleur and a new model of side pull front derailleur (designed to make sure it doesn't rub the larger knobby tires people will be putting on this bike), with new Ultegra hydraulic disc brakes. It's got an 11 speed 11/34t cassette (the same size that's on my old 26" bull-Mt-bike, except that's it's an ancient 9 speed). It's got standard 'recreational' 50/34t chainrings (for those of us who aren't superhuman and/or doping), standard 175mm cranks, a full carbon frame, and FOUR water bottle mounts! (yes, you read that right...FOUR!) It comes stock with the most excellent Schwalbe 35mm 700c gravel tires, which are totally in the sweet spot for "gravel" rides. For road rides I can toss on a set of 28mm road slicks, and for even MORE aggressive dirt Trek claims it will fit up to a 45mm knobby tire (however pretty much everybody who has one says even with that there's more room, it will likely fit up to a 50mm, which is basically a 29" x 2" mtb tire). This bike has SERIOUS OPTIONS!

The seatpost has Treks patented 'suspension system (can't remember what it's called right now, but it's the same as on the ultra-speedy and quite expensive Domane line, only that has it front AND rear). Trek figured that with the larger tires people will likely be running on this bike they don't need the front, as the tires themselves will be a pretty good suspension system.

Here's the bikes link on the Trek site: Trek Checkpoint SL6

Yes, it looks pretty much like a "road" bike, but it's SO much more. It has FULL rack-mount holes (all covered with little caps) for mounting full-on road-touring gear including front and rear fenders!

This bike will pretty much cover about 80% (or more) of the riding that I do. My Mt bike will still have duty in the REAL mountain biking genre...single track, wicked downhills, anything like that. But for anything LESS than that this bike will do, and that will go all the way across the spectrum into regular road rides. For any rides with crappy pavement, this bike will eat it up! Sure, it's not a race bike as it weighs 19lbs. But I think this bike will literally be with me until I'm pretty much done riding, or at least on dirt. And I've always wanted to do some dirt bike-packing AND road-touring...and this bike will do both!

So I just flew home from Colorado Springs today and picked it up this afternoon. I'd gotten a text from Scott (the bike shop owner) saying it arrived in the shop last week...a full month early! (I had ordered it back at the end of March during a fleet-wide Trek sale, which knocked off $200, hooray!) and it wasn't supposed to be delivered to the shop until sometime in July, so it's here a month early! Boy was I surprised! So far this bike is a 'special-order' only model, and shops won't likely be stocking it until all the pre-orders are satisfied. I have a few friends who have "gravel bikes" and personally I think this one WAY out-classes all of them! It's versatility simply blows my mind! There's just not much that this bike can't do.

So...I'm taking it in to work tomorrow and after work I will take it on a shakedown dirt and pavement ride on base (provided the wind isn't HOWLING and it's not 50 degrees buried under the marine layer).

I'm still so excited I can barely stand it, and my smile is still stuck on my face! A NEW BIKE! OH MY GOODNESS!!! I'd say that it's a mid-life-crisis thing, but sadly I'm afraid I'm WAY past that (mid-life). With my Moms recent passing I think it's really got me thinking about my own mortality...and specifically, how long I can continue to ride. I will be 58 in just a few months (HOLY CRAP!)...so maybe 10 to 15 years of riding on dirt, and maybe a few more specifically on pavement...and that's if I'm very lucky and don't get hurt in the meantime. Just thinking that...10 to MAYBE 15 years of riding left scares the living bejeebers out of me! How can I be SO OLD all of a sudden?? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN?

Well...I for one intend to get the most out of what life I have left. I'm going to slide across the "finish line" all broken, battered and bloody (hopefully not TOO broken, battered and bloody tho), having lived my life to the fullest.

In the meantime my new rule is that I need to keep this bike away from cows!

Cheers!

Addendum...thought I'd toss a few pics in from my first 3 rides. 

On Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB), Southbase (where most of our Space Launch pads are). This area totally burned a year and a half ago...it was nothing but black sand and some sticks poking up (except for the burned forest at the top of the picture, they are all dead but still standing). 

 Now I'm on VAFB Northbase (where our missile launch sites are at, Minuteman III's, Interceptors and Peacekeepers) at it's northern tip. That's Point Sal off in the distance a few miles away. We used to take our dogs to this beach to run many years ago...all the times we came out here there wasn't another soul...had the entire beach to ourselves. I've also fished for surf perch here and done anywhere from quite well to totally skunked, depending on the day. There is a trail at the ridgeline of those mountains, and I've taken my mountain bike all the way to the point many years past (it's got a TON of deep sand, and the ridge trail is about half unridable).
 
On the pavement on the way back to Main Base from the northern tip of Northbase. Looking south, the long sandy beach in the distance is Minuteman Beach (there are several missile launch sites along the road, which is the only way in/out of where I am now). Pretty scenic, eh?

From my Saturday "Figueroa loop" day (I did the loop twice). Yes, that's COWS in the fog....forcing me to violate my RULE about keeping the new bike at least 200 yards away from cows. 

Yep....there they are...just watching me, and laughing. And they were pretty stubborn too...did NOT want to get off the road and let me by. And some of them were pretty feisty when I got to w/in 20 yards or so...I was VERY scared. STUPID COWS! (they're not supposed to be here, must have gotten thru a fence somewhere).  So I guess my new rule is more of a guideline (thanks Captain Jack!)

I'm out of the fog now, it's sunny, and you can see some of the upper mountain ahead to the left. And that is my road going up to the right...Fig is always a great climb from either side! (many pro teams still come here in January to train for the season...it's a 10 mile climb whichever way you come up, both being drastically different styles of climb/descent). And the pavement of both descents is generally pretty HORRIBLE! (the new bike ate that bad pavement up for breakfast AND lunch!)

 Heading down on the other side, the road just carves along the mountain back and forth. Other than all the mini 'landslide' debris on the pavement at random intervals ( and the cracks/holes) it would be a FANTASTIC descent. Though the new bike handled the descent on both sides fantastic...I actually enjoyed them both (which I've never said before....in the past the descents have been something for me to survive). This was an 81 mile 9600' climbing day...and it was AWESOME!

OK. That's it for another weekend. Monday is fast approaching. Later gaters!

Oh, and be sure to check out the 2018 Tour Divide race that is currently ongoing (from Banff Alberta to Antelope Wells New Mexico, following the Continental Divide). Here is the link:

2018 Tour Divide

22 comments:

  1. The bike looks great & I'm so happy you got it for yourself! You deserve it! :) You'll have to regale us with all your new bike adventures.

    Do you plan to watch any of the World Cup? I'll watch some but because of the time difference, I'll only be able to see the weekend games & one of the day's matches FOX will hopefully rebroadcast at night. I STILL can't believe USA failed to qualify. It's pathetic. I know we are not a soccer power but for pete's sake, we've been in it since at least 1994, right?! And all those foreign-"American" players that the previous Head Coach jammed into the team certainly didn't help in the long run.

    BTW, are you aware the TDF has a VERY LATE start this year? Not till July 7th! I can't even remember that late of a Tour start, can you? I'm guessing they wanted to stay out of the way of the World Cup as much as possible which is probably a good strategy. This way, only the quarters, semis & Final of the WC is left.

    So, while we wait for the TDF, I'll watch some World Cup, the USA Track & Field Championships & sweat it out over where LeBron James ends up for next season. No offense to all you Californians, but I HATE the Lakers & am not thrilled with LA itself & I've been panicked the last 2-3 years that he'd go there at some point. Ever since it came out that he bought his 1st house in Brentwood a few years ago. And then last summer, there was a photo of LBJ & his wife touring a private school. ARGH! LBJ going to LA upsets me so much, I will no longer watch him if he ends up there. He can go ANYWHERE else but CA & it's fine, JUST NOT LA (or the Supervillains in Oakland)!

    Hey Rae, how's retiree life? Are you getting used to it? I'm looking forward to hearing about your new adventures.

    Alrighty, I have to scoot. Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Q: How many bikes does a man need? A: +1


    As I suffer through very early for the season heat and humidity (I don't mind 90F, I mind the relative humidity >50%) I look at your pics Matt and dream of my days in San Diego. I used to throw my bike (a Nishiki Custom Sport) in the car and drive up to Camp Pendeleton to ride. I can still remember the scent of the wild anise. When my daughter was old enough I took her along, too. Such a nice way to spend the day -- although I never exerted myself quite as much as you, not having the time or freedom to be strong enough for hills and mountains!


    Susie, I am still having to remind myself that I don't have to rush to complete a project in a day (I have knocked a bunch of stuff off my to-do list, but still have a long list of deferred maintenance and just plain sprucing up to do) or worry about getting too tired on a walk, run or ride, because I don't have to go spend the next 2 days at work. And I keep thinking that I need to catch up with the mandatory education/recertification that comes with working in a hospital, or go to bed as I am watching a show -- my brain just hasn't yet adapted to the change.
    But so far I am enjoying the luxury of free time! I still think at some point I will have to find some sort of volunteer commitment, or even an easy part time job, just to prevent a total slide into sloth.

    I am planning to go to Montreal/Quebec for those races, which I've wanted to do since they started. We will see if I actually do! I could go to the US Nat championships on Sunday, but it is less fun for me when I don't recognize any of the names.

    You'd think that I would have been on the computer watching every stage of the Giro, but I had other things distracting me at that point (new roof, siding and porch repair, all paid for by insurance thank heavens!) But I've seen a few stages of the Dauphine and Tour de Suisse and looking forward to indulging in watching the TdF as much as I want! It has been more difficult to watch livestreams - since Fubo TV locked up so many of the races and Pete Guyer (cyclingfans) refers us to them instead of providing links to Eurosport now, I have had to rely on Tiz but their streams the past few weeks have been freezing a lot. I don't want to switch my subscription to Fubo because I would have to pay for their basic service which is not as good (for me) as Vue, then pay the same amount again just for the cycling. Maybe for the Vuelta I will look into subscribing to a VPN network.

    Speaking of the Tour, who/which team are you favoring, or hoping will produce a good showing? I haven't looked yet to see who is going but assume Sagan for sure, probably Cav (although his years of dominance are clearly over) -- is Viviani, after riding the entire Giro? He has been on fire this spring!
    For the GC, I know Froome is supposed to be there, Uran for EF-Drapac; Porte is going for BMC. Has TJ has finally accepted that he isn't a man for grand tours?
    We seem to have few up-and-coming Americans in the Pro Tour but either not ready to make much of an showing yet, or having not fulfilled early promise -- I would like to be able to cheer for an American again, but it is not in the cards this year. Maybe I will have to settle for a USA based team (EF or BMC).

    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rae, glad to hear you have been staying busy! I can't WAIT to retire...I have SO MUCH bike riding to do! My new bike will be a big part of that...road touring, dirt touring...it's going to be AWESOME! (I'm already excited about it!) I haven't seen a lick of cycling this year (so far) but will certainly be watching EVERY STAGE of le Tour! I think a BIG challenger will be Primoz Roglic on Lotto Jumbo....he's really coming into his own, and even though he isn't the team leader, he will be someone to watch for SURE! I think he can stay w/ anybody in the mtns, and he's a GREAT TT'er! I'd assume Froome will be in the top few, look at what he did in the Giro (SURPRISE!) Nobody expected that...sure wish I could believe he's riding clean...didn't Floyd AND Lance (among others) teach us that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is? But it is cool that he occasionally throws caution to the wind and gives it a real go...he is a MAD descender, and everybody forgets that until he lights it up. Also will be rooting for Sagan to notch a few wins, and to liven up the race at any time. Otherwise no real rooting, just watching the carnage (er, I mean drama) play out. Viva le Tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...and Susie (sorry bout that, forgot to reply)...not really a soccer fan, nor basketball (except for March Madness)...so I won't likely be watching any of the World Cup...being as I don't really follow pro bball it's not high on my list where LBJ ends...but I hope he doesn't go to the Lakers just because I don't want you to be in anguish. I can feel your pain tho...it's like when Peyton Manning went to Denver! That crushed me, mostly cuz I'm a lifelong Raider fan, and all the other AFC West teams are our mortal enemies! Anyway, happy viewing...a lot to watch suddenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow...and don't forget about Dumoulin...he was fantastic in the Giro and only lost to Froome when he went all-Landis on the peleton that fateful day near the end. I think we should have a really great Tour this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And HEY! Don't forget about Movistar...they are bringing Quintana, Landa AND Valverde! Is that a stacked 3-some of potential podium guys or what! Could be some real fireworks this year...we can hope anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those pics of your "model" - did you tell "her" to say "cheese"? :) Gosh Matt, every once in a while, I forget how beautiful it is where you live AND that you live so close to the beach! Won't you miss that when you move to the cold/icy/snowy/HUMID, HOT & BUGGY East coast? Plus, it seems SO much safer to ride on the base than regular roads, right? Anyhoo, thanks for hoping against the Lakers for me, every little bit helps! :) And too bad you don't like soccer as I was hoping you could explain more to ME! I pretty much only watch during the World Cup & whenever the women's & men's USA teams play international games. I know more than I do about hockey, but that's not saying much! :) It's been interesting so far, largely because almost ALL of the Big 4 fave teams either lost or tied their 1st games. I feel sorry for Messi, one of the 2 best players in the world the past 10 or so years. His team (Argentina) is doing poorly & they MUST win their 3rd game or they are out, which will apparently lead to lots of Argentinians screaming & crying (like Brazil in 2014 when they were humiliated at HOME 0-7 against Germany). These fans take this stuff SERIOUS! I must say I'm not impressed with FOX's coverage as compared to ESPN's in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Rae - good to hear you're busy & having a good time! Question - HOW are you getting insurance to pay for a new roof, siding & porch?! What happened?! You probably said something here but I'm so sorry that I forgot. Please fill us in again. Once you settle into your new life, what kind of part-time job would you want if you go that route?

    And I just don't know who I'll be rooting for at the TDF, except ANYBODY BUT FROOME or SKY! Well, I won't root for Nibbles either. I do NOT understand why Froome is even allowed to ride until the case is adjudicated! Anyhoo, like Matt says, I think Dumoulin should be a contender, as well as Richie Porte (Tejay will be there as his main helper) & Quintana (supposedly Landa will be his happy helper....we'll see). I hope Cav & Sagan both win a couple stages. Cav has had 2 rough seasons since his great 2016. Sprinters often seem to have "it" & then not, but I really want Cav to win a few more stages this year & next & set a new TDF stage-win record. That would be SO awesome! Who will YOU be rooting for in the GC? And you're right, once again there will probably be VERY few Americans even in the Tour let alone one that can win a stage. Sigh. Right now, it looks dire for Team BMC to even continue to exist after this season. I swear, the financial construct of this sport is PATHETIC!

    And gee Matt, I don't even know who Primoz Roglic is! (hangs head). There has been almost no cycling on TV that I can watch this year. NBCSN put the Dauphine taped coverage on at 2 AM every freakin night! And no Tour se Susie at all. Oh, Rae - do you get the Olympic TV channel? They carried DAILY coverage of the Vuelta last year & I believe they will again. I LOVE that channel! I watch something on that channel at least 3-5 times EVERY week.

    Alrighty, I must be going. Have a great weekend, everyone! I'll be watching some WC & the USA Track & Field championship! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rae n Susie, hope you're having a great beginning to Summer. I'm currently back up in Sunnyvale (for work). Was SUPPOSED to be so busy (a 1 week trip) that I didn't bother to bring a bike. And as usual, plans change, and here I sit in my hotel room with no bike (not even hiking shoes of any sort) at 3pm on a Tues, don't have to be back to work until TOMORROW at 6pm! DAMN DAMN DAMN! Could have ridden today AND tomorrow! But alas, I get zip riding time. Been up here almost a week now, and sched to fly home (on the C5) Thursday night. Feels like we've been here much longer, as all work trips do. Oh well...such is life. Stay cool! I hear it's HOT out there in the rest of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weds morning, sitting in the hotel (don't have to be to work until 5pm this afternoon). So I've been watching the Mexico/Sweden world cup match. WOW! Sweden has kept the ball in the Mex half of the court almost the entire match! And they just scored their THIRD goal! Sweden is looking really great! (can't speak to how they've played the rest of their matches tho).

    ReplyDelete
  11. And Germany is OUT, Mexico (despite the crushing loss to Sweden) is IN! Germany (defending world cup champs) losing to S. Korea...another upset! Wow...this IS pretty exciting! (I haven't watched much "football" but I do like Rugby...my time in the UK has led me to more understanding of that game...it's pretty crazy fun!) OK. I'm out and about to kill the day. Can you believe it's almost JULY??

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a bummer, Matt! I guess that there was no source to rent a bike (at least at a budget friendly price)? My neighbor down the street participates in a personal bike share service, wonder if it is active out there. We also have 2 of the commercial bike share companies operating here -- Limebike just started, and I like the design of it - pick up the bike closest to you, drop it off in any public place, $1 for 30 minutes of use. Of course these are commuter style bikes (like the typical Dutch city bike), not for off road!
    But you know, a little down time is good sometimes!

    SusieB, a tree fell on my house last August 31. It took the insurance adjuster so long to process the claim that it was too late in the year to do the work -- so just patched the roof until this spring. But in the end, because the aluminum siding was who knows how old and couldn't be matched, and the roofing all had to match, the porch slab was cracked from the impact and the shutters were dented -- they paid for the whole house siding, roof, new porch slab & column. (New car too, because after the tree hit the house it landed on the car -- and it wasn't until NOVEMBER that I got the money. Oh, and TWO WEEKS after I got the new (2015) Fit, a hit and run driver bashed in the driver side door in the grocery store parking lot! Another claim, but processed within 10 days this time) I figure that after 25 years of getting premiums on the house with no claims, the insurance co. just about broke even.

    While they were here doing all that work I had the contractor do a few more things that had been on my to-do list for years -- replace the original (1941) rusty metal frame garage window, and actually remove a side door that was never used and turn it into a window, and also replace the garage door. OMG the new garage door -- it is like comparing a Trek Madone to a 1955 Huffy! It was a major effort for me to lift it before, now it just flies up! I still need to decide on a shutter color; the siding turned out a different shade than the sample seemed to be (expected a greenish gray, but it is definitely green!) and I keep wavering between basic black, navy or gray. Then I will need to paint the doors and the foundation.

    So far the weather has not been fabulous -- last week I drove to Cleveland to take some albums of photos, alumni bulletins and random papers from the orphanage that my dad had been in to the Western Reserve Museum (plus to visit some gravesites of relatives0 -- nice weather there, but returned home that evening to find flooded yards and neighbors posting about water in their basements (not for me, my sump pump (that I replaced myself!) was working well. The next day I measured 7.5 inches of rainwater in my bucket that I had left on the patio! And that is how it has been - rain rain rain, then hot and humid, one nice day, then rain rain rain & repeat! And now the mosquitos are vicious. They seek me out from miles around and find the tiniest spot without repellent. Wish I could afford to move back to mosquito-minimal CA!

    Rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Rae! I'm so sorry! But the silver lining is that you get a NEW roof, porch, siding & car! :) Sill, it must have just been awful. I had wind damage on my house from the "once a century" 2-3 day wind tunnel that descended onto our area back in late Feb or March & I was upset about that! It was MINISCULE to what you had to deal with.

      And hey, who knew Columbus, Ohio & the DC suburbs are basically TWINS, at least this year as far as the weather! :) Rain, rain, rain, hot & humid, repeat. And yes, mosquitoes! See Matt, this is what you have to look "forward" to coming East. Sigh.

      Delete
  13. Glad you liked your WC viewing, Matt! I've really enjoyed what I've been able to see. Unfortunately, FOX decided to NOT rebroadcast any of this week's games at night, so I wasn't able to see any action since Monday. I do plan to watch at least 3 of the 4 games this weekend. My fave 2 teams are England (I've rooted for them since 1998 at the WC) & Belgium. Would LOVE to see either or BOTH actually get to the Semi-Finals or further. That would be icing on the cake!

    Today I trot off to Barnes & Noble to hopefully pick up my Velonews TDF 2018 Guide. I'm still not sure how I'll feel watching this year, but I saw a bit of the TDF preview show on NBCSN & just seeing the old stomping grounds in the mts made my heart skip a bit as usual. :) Oh, I'm confused about Movistar! LAST week I saw a piece that said Landa would be "riding for Quintana" & happy about it. THIS week, I saw a piece that said the team has 3 co-leaders. Hmmmmmmm. If I were Quintana, I'd watch my back! And front. And sides.

    Matt, will you be at home during the Tour? When do you upgrade your cable? Not till next Friday? Alpe d'Huez is part of the route again this year & I just love that mt! Except when the fans get too damn close & unruly! If I ever get over to the TDF in person, it will be a year that goes up the Alpe & I will be there somewhere! :)

    BTW, "Thumper" (Fulgsang) is the GC guy this year at Astana. Would be great if he does well. And Dan Martin & Riggo (Uran). If I was a DS, I'd try to get ALL the teams together to gang up on Sky! Don't want a repeat of that domination, especially now! And oh, the preview showed poor Richie's SLAM onto the mountainside in last year's Tour & ooof, I'd actually not thought about that till now. Remember, it was BAM on the left and then FLEW-SLID across the road & SLAMMED into the mtside, taking down poor Dan Martin too, who was somehow able to complete the Tour. It's funny, the main thing I remember from last year was Sagan & Cav's , er, entanglement & Cav crashing & out of the Tour & Sagan then thrown out. BTW, on the preview, Cav is interviewed & he flatly states Sagan was a fault. Doesn't know if it was "intentional" he says, but doesn't care about that, it happened due to Sagan's actions. Interesting.

    Hey, will having only 8 riders on a team affect anything? I hope they didn't add another team as that would not correct the problem of there being too many in the race, especially in the 1st week.

    Well, I've already told my group I'll be taking 1-3 mornings off so I can watch some mt stages LIVE. Fingers crossed I'll see some SUNNY days with lots of ATTACKING!

    Gotta run. Have a great weekend everyone & stock up on sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So...some crazy biz going on. Susie, so very sorry that LBJ went to Lakers...I know he was (is) the real deal and he was just dealt to your enemy (I know roughly how it feels...I felt that way when Peyton Manning went to the Broncos oh-so-long ago)...betrayed.

    And then there's the Froome thing...on Sunday the ASO is trying to ban him from riding in le Tour, and TODAY the UCI has dropped their case against him, he is free and clear. WOW! I wasn't expecting that. Reading up on how things were looking to go, it sounds like the UCI/WADA is afraid they wouldn't be able to back up the science of their testing and would likely lose to a well funded challenger (such as Team Sky). Best to drop this one and live to fight another day...sadly it doesn't help the lesser-funded riders in the past and future who will face a ban for similar or even lesser offenses. Do I think he should have faced a ban? Yes I do. It's like a rich person walking from a crime cuz they could afford a better lawyer. All in cycling are NOT created equal, and the sport is not much cleaner than it was 20 years ago IMO. But, I can't change that, and will continue to watch and root (for anybody NOT on Team Sky). I can't deny that Froome is the real deal...and I even applaud when he shows something like his solo audacious attack in the Giro that got him the lead and eventually the win. But day in and day out I just have a hard time believing his handful of victories are any cleaner than he who shall not be named. His super team has the same exact style...almost the entire team up front killing the rest of the peleton, and when they are down to just 3 or 4 left the rest of the teams have only their GC guy hanging on for dear life. We've seen this before and know how it's done. Yes, I think it is too good to be true. And I will continue to root for anybody who can stand up and challenge that. I think this year has a gaggle of guys who can make a good showing and put pressure on Froome and Sky. I just hope they can stay healthy enough to get a chance. And I HOPE they are smart enough to work together to dethrone the current king. If so it will be an EPIC race. Just gotta get my NBC Sports upgrade no later than Friday. Jeannie goes on her annual girls-trip vacation on Monday, giving me free-viewing-reign for 2 whole weeks! SWEET!!! Now I just gotta get MY butt off the chair and start my annual summer comeback. I'm a long ways from MY tour form right now. Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it possible but I am actually STUNNED that the UCI & WADA has allowed themselves to be outed as EMPERORS WITH NO CLOTHES! A pox on BOTH their houses! G'damn it. This is a TERRIBLE decision in its impact on anti-doping. Way to castrate your own alleged objective there, WADA!

      Even worse, as much as I detest Team Sky & have little admiration for Froome, this has set Froome up as a target for the next 4 weeks! Emotions are on edge all around the world, not just the USA. People are taking matters into their own hands - this event is on OPEN ROADS, riders mere inches from spectators! I now dread what will happen. Not just "might" but will. And the UCI & WADA will be RESPONSIBLE for whatever happens.

      Delete
  15. Happy Freedom Day everyone!

    I am confused but just as with everything in cycling the past 14 years, I am going to just let it go and enjoy the racing and the spectacle. Remember Froome's descent in 2016? The guy's got the skills and I can enjoy that.


    So I think that I will have 3 riders that I will be cheering on -- Uran, because despite his 2nd place last year, he (and his team) aren't getting much respect; Romain Bardet and Tom DuMoulin because having a Frenchman win would just be cool -- and a big coup for their smaller teams. Others that I'd like to see do well are Adam Yates and Richie Porte -- Yates because I think he might have the talent, and Porte because he has just seemed jinxed since leaving Sky -- and to see him really fully come back from that awful crash (it still makes me sad to think how Taylor Phinney has gone from rising star to domestique after his injury). A big bonus would be to see TeJay respond to having no pressure by pulling out a big result; hopefully he can do more than win Colorado! You know, I didn't warm to him at first but still, I would like to see an American do well!


    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'll root for Porte & Uran the most but really anyone other than Froome &/or Sky. And I double down on Rae's sentiments about Taylor & Tejay.

    Can you believe we're only 2 days away?! I HATED not being able to watch some TDF on July 4th!

    And thanks Matt for your 'condolences' about LBJ. I know it's ridiculous to get so upset/angry/devastated that some multi-million dollar athlete whom I've never met & never even seen in person has chosen to ABANDON his home area team & fans for the 2nd time (& the entire USA east of the Mississippi!) to hobnob with & live among rich celebrities in humid-free LA , but I've been watching & reading about this guy almost every day for 9 months each of the past 7 YEARS & it feels like I just broke up with him! Heck, none of my real-life beak-ups were in 7 year relationships! Sigh. He was already The KING. Now, he's just one more in a loooong line of Laker Hall 0f Famers. Honestly, the showbizzy Lakers have NEVER appealed to me. And sure, nice weather with ZERO humidity & few bugs sure sound nice but with that TRAFFIC? Those ANNUAL WILDFIRES? And of course, the EARTHQUAKES? Plus, the COL is MUCH higher than in Cleveland! Heck, I bet the cost of car insurance alone will be 3-5 times higher!

    And I just don't know what I'll watch/emotionally invest in now each year between Nov-Jun. :) I'd actually cut way back on watching LBJ games this past season in preparation as I KNEW this was coming but now I won't be watching any. It's already a jolt & I'm sure by Thanksgiving, I'll be morose. Heck, watching LBJ helped keep my mind off all the heinous daily acts by The Sociopath in the WH. Now what?! :(

    I hope you all had a Happy 4th! I did nothing but stay home, read & watch TV. Anybody do anything fun &/or see fireworks in person?

    Hey, at least my 2 fave teams in this World Cup have advanced to the Quarters! Whoo-hoo! If either Belgium or England get to the Semis, I may even stop moping around about LBJ! At least for an hour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was checking the TDF TV schedule last night & once again, on at least 2 of the Fridays & Saturdays, there will be NO Primetime showings! Damn Nascar! At least on Saturdays, I'll will have seen the LIVE broadcast in the AM, but will not be able to see any of Fridays' unless it's one of the mornings I take vacation hours. Not sure which those days will be yet but I'm pretty sure there won't be any the 1st week.

    Also, tomorrow's Grand Departe will apparently be broadcast in all its entirety LIVE, beginning at 5:00AM my time! That's 2AM for you Matt! I normally don't wake till 6, so it will be a struggle. I DID get up even earlier for Meghan & Harry's Wedding, so I can do it! :) :)

    I'm also going to TRY & watch the England-Sweden WC Quarterfinal, which either starts at 9AM or 10. It's going to hectic clicking back & forth!

    Well, batten down the hatches folks for another TDF, I have a feeling it's gonna be a BUMPY 3 weeks! :) Will chat with ya'll next week. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting 1st stage! (no spoilers from me)

    I am pondering over my picks for the fantasy team game. I have my favorites for the GC. Should I swap out Groenewagen for Kittel or Kristoff? I find it easier to pick too many sprinters than filling out the rest of the team, it seems that stage winners can be so unpredictable when it is not a sprint! Could Van Avermaet go for an early stage, or will he totally in service to Porte (likewise Tejay)? One of the Izagirre brothers, but which one? Decisions, decisions!


    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  19. By the way, it seems that BMC is in real danger of folding at the end of the season -- as Cannondale was last year, but they don't seem to be trying the crowd-funding route like Vaughters did! That is a lot of talent to be searching for a new team. I read that Tejay might end up with EF, that Porte already has a done deal with Trek, and Van Avermaet although would be a great get is also pricey. Didn't see any speculation yet about Rohan Dennis. -- Rae

    ReplyDelete
  20. So, have you played around with the position of the rear wheel on your Trek? I've been eyeing the Checkpoint and wondering if I'd really end up messing around with the wheel position or not. Your thought?

    ReplyDelete