Sunday, July 26, 2020

New car time!

So...after driving my amazing silver 2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon for the last FOURTEEN YEARS / 202,000 miles (I bought it in 2006 with 92,000 miles on it, and it had 294,125 when the new owner drove it away) it was time to get something a teensy bit newer. I'd been watching the market for the used TDI's that were the "Turn-Ins" after the VW emissions scandal in late 2015 on all the models with the 2 liter diesel engine. Basicly, everybody who had one of the 'cheater' cars had the option to take some money from VW and keep their car, AND get it de-tuned to fully meet the US 50 state emissions, OR you could turn it in for a sum based on how many miles it had when the scandal began and the year and trim/model of your car.

Jeannie had a 2014 Passatt TDI that she got as a 1 year old car for a FANTASTIC deal, and she opted to keep it. It's a truly great car, even after the emissions recalls from the cheating scandal were performed (it went down from 150hp/310 ft lbs of torque to 140hp/300fp torque). A noticeable blip in the power, but nothing huge (as compared to my anemic 03 wagon....a 1.9 liter engine with 90hp/150ft lbs torque). Sure, my old wagon was a truly great car (best I've ever had) but as to power/acceleration, it was no ball of fire. In fact, when you were doing 55 or more and hit the gas to pass someone, the car actually talked back to you, saying "uhm ...are you talking to me?? You want to do WHAT? PASS this guy? Yeaaaah....so how much distance do you have, cuz it had better be a lot!".

I test drove a 2014 Jetta TDI SportWagon back in late March. I would have bought it but the dealer (who shall not be named....Murrieta Mitsubishi, you lying cheating scum of a dealership!) advertised the car on Autotrader.com, and liking what I saw and the price, I took Jeannie with me and we drove almost 4 hours south to test drive, and buy it (had the checkbook with me). Got there, drove it...immediately noticed the wheels had been changed...in the pictures and the description it had the alloy 17" wheels...but now it had a set of 16" steel wheels. I pointed that out right away...before I drove it. It was fine, we went inside and I said I liked it and will take it IF they would put the alloy 17" wheels back on (saw them on a different Jetta wagon that was a lesser model that didn't come with them...somebody swapped them). The dealer rep came back with their offer-sheet, and lo and behold it was OVER $3000 more than listed on Autotrader! I asked what the "Dealer installed Options" that were the over-advertised-cost items, and was told it was stuff like "diamond coat" paint-sealant, and a few other things like that which I did not want (nor could be verified it was actually on the car). AND they were only going to give me $500 for my old TDI (which I knew was worth a lot more than that). I said I didn't want the "options", and was told they are already on the car...so I asked if they are not optional why wasn't that listed in the Autotrader ad, and was given a lame excuse...so we picked up our stuff and walked out and drove my old car home.

I was pretty ticked (having wasted an entire Saturday, driving a total of 8 hours, and over half a tank of diesel), so I did make sure to find time and give my review of their pathetic 'tactics' to get more money out of people on both Facebook and Autotrader.com. I got at least 2 emails in the coming weeks asking if I was still interested in the car...THAT was pretty funny! I replied each time that  I wouldn't buy a car from them after what they did to me if they gave it to me. And they stopped emailing me finally. However, that turns out to be the best thing that could have happened. I couldn't find any more Jetta Sportwagons that were equipped as I wanted, so begrudgingly upped my field to include the 2015 model year (where they changed from a Jetta to a Golf Sportwagon). The 2015 year has a new engine that gets a few more mpg than the 2012-2014's (I think the Jetta was rated at 42hwy and the Golf was 44hwy). They both have the same power/torque as Jeannie's Passatt after the emissions de-tuning. And the 2015's are when VW added all the fancy schmancy safety stuff...the all-around distance monitoring thing that beeps if there is anything in your way, AND they upgraded the stereo with new software and WAY faster booting-up than the 2014 system in Jeannie's car. AND, I did get the optional Fender fancy-schmancy stereo system, which I wanted.

On all the searches I had done the Golfs were around $6000 (or more) than the Jettas. I just wasn't going to pay that much for 1 model year newer, but then I found one in Tempe Arizona (at a dealer) on Autotrader, fully equipped with everything I wanted above and beyond the base-model (17" alloy wheels, sunroof, Fender stereo), and it was only $3000 more than the Jetta I almost bought! It only had 38,000 miles on it, and had a clean Carfax report. After talking with the dealer a few times I told them I'd take it. He mailed me the forms to sign, I mailed them back w/ a cashiers check for the full amount, and the day he got the package in the mail he sent the title in for the ownership change (in AZ they do that at their DMV)...and a few days later it was on a truck to CA (he arranged that, as they do a lot of internet business and ship a lot of vehicles all over the country).

In all honestly, I did NOT want a black car, but color was my least critical requirement, and this was in every other way exactly the car I wanted. And now that I have it, I LOVE the color! (Jeannie's Passatt is also black, and yes, they are hot in the sun). Anyway, here are a few pictures I took today.

 It is WAY more sporty than my old 2003...no wonder they call it a "SportWagon"!


I knew if I got a black car that I did NOT also want a black interior (my old Jetta had black leather...and boy, getting in and sitting on a HOT black leather seat that has been in the sun really gets your attention!). Thankfully this one has "corn silk" or something like that. It's not white...tho it kind of looks it in the pic...it's more of a beige. 


 Soon after I got it I installed the "Muddy Buddy" rubber cargo-area covering, and also the jail-cell cargo area pet-containment-system that sits above the rear seat backrests. I need to be able to haul the monsters when we go for walks and such, and do NOT want dog-hair everywhere! It also keeps them contained so Abbey isn't continually trying to crawl into the front seats. And it's great for my bike hauling too! I fold down the wider back seat (on the right in the pic) so that it's flat, and then the bike rear-tire slides under the cargo retractable cover and pet containment bars, and lies there on it's side. My Mt bike is a 29'er and is pretty large with it's huge 2.6" knobby tires, and it fits fine (the road bike isn't nearly so large so easily fits). This car is definitely a bit bigger than my old wagon.


It's got all the bells and whistles that I can think of that new cars have...backup camera, fog lights (which I will actually use, as Vandenberg is covered in fog about 200 days a year when I go into work in the dark) and it even has the night-time turning-lights (when you turn the steering wheel to turn in the dark or turn on your turn signal, a light way low on the corner turns on lighting up the entire turn). Never had that on a car before, it's pretty neat actually! Oh, and the Fender stereo is XM capable, so I was able to transfer my subscription over. Really love the stereo! I figure if I'm going to spend so much time inside, might as enjoy it as much as possible!

And so...this is my car (I HOPE!) for the next decade/plus. I truly hope it's even close to as good a car as the Jetta was. On a sad note, yesterday (Saturday) I sold the Jetta. It was truly the best car I've ever had, never stranded me, and hey....48mpg lifetime average! The new car has the 6 speed automatic transmission (with paddle shifters if you put it into sport mode, which I don't see ever needing). I will really be glad for the auto tranny when we leave here (after I retire in a few years). My Jetta was a 5 speed manual (I've had manual trannys in almost every car I've ever had), which was fine here with no real traffic to speak of...but I certainly can't have that when we move to Richmond...HUGE traffic in the entire DC area (traffic...YUK!) Technically it's already 5 years old, but with only 38,000 miles on it, seems more like it's only 1 or 2 years old. And it was really in new condition...so to me it's my NEW car! And how EXCITING! I haven't bough a car for FOURTEEN YEARS!! And while I do feel bad about my old friend Mr. Jetta, every time I drive this car I smile, as it's just so AWESOME!! And when I step on it to pass (or even just accelerate fast cuz I feel like it), there is no "you talking to me?" going on...this car GETS IT ON! That 300ft-lbs of torque are a lot for a passenger car. And I haven't even chip-tuned it yet..which I will probably do when the warranty ends...yes, it's still under warranty...VW extended them after the scandal). After the tune it will be up to 180hp and 350ft-lb of torque...that will be HUGE!! I'm quite afraid I won't be able to constrain myself and keep my foot off the accelerator...it will be like a rocket-ship with that power and torque. I get all giddy thinking about it after 14 years of "you talking to me?" And it still gets 44mpg, and IF I can keep my foot out of it, will get even more after tuning! Yes, that's a few less mpg than the Jetta...but this car is SO MUCH MORE FUN to drive! (and it's bigger and heavier). I'm envisioning myself pulling a little trailer when we are in Richmond...we have a deal that during the winter I will take my bikes and drive south to "try out" different areas to see what the winters are like....Jeannie needs to work 5 years after I retire so I will explore. Instead of hotels or renting a room, I think a small trailer to pull with me and I would be fine. I've lived in much smaller spaces before (I did 7 years on Surveillance ships after I retired from the Navy...boy, those staterooms were TINY!)

OK...gotta scoot. We are starting our packing...we fly to Virginia on Wednesday for a week...this trip is actual vacation (this is in lieu of Oktoberfest, which was canceled). I think we fly into Raleigh/Durham...it's going\ to be interesting...kind of scared to be flying commercial right now... but we have masks AND face-shields, and a bunch of sanitizing wipes and gel. Oh...speaking of Covid...I was tested a week ago today (still don't have my results back...just checked...they said 4 to 6 days, but the lab is swamped apparently). I'd think tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest...honestly I'm expecting it to be negative...but after the trip to FL I wanted to know.

Later Gators! Have a great week, and stay safe!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, congrats on the new car! Very happy for you, especially after being jerked around by that one dealership! I'm planning to keep my current car (which turned 6 years old in May) another 8 or 9 years. I still think of it as "new" & up until the pandemic, had still parked away from most cars in the grocery store parking lot. NOW when I go every 2 weeks, I can park near the front as there aren't many cars at 6AM! :)

    I have to say, I'm shocked that you & Jeannie are going on a cross-country trip! Gosh, Matt - do you think it's SAFE to fly commercial? Heck, just being in a airport with hundreds/thousands of other people is risky enough. The way things look right now, I won't even go home for Xmas! I just found out my OLDER sister stupidly decided to start her part-time job again in an RETAIL OUTLET STORE! She makes very little at the job & does not desperately need the cash, so why?!

    Anyhoo, I know you & Jeannie will be careful but you can't totally control your environment when out in such a public/crowded place. I'll worry about you even more than your work trips! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. BTW, get ready for a STEAM BATH1 It's been in the 90s EVERY DAY for over 3 weeks now & MD is north of VA! And the humidity makes it feel over 100. I went out to my mailbox at 7:30 AM yesterday & it was already over 80! Hopefully, your brother-in-law has good AC. :)

    Take care & keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice car! I had never considered VWs in the past 30 years or so, because I had had a co-worker who loved her new one (and I can't remember the model now) but seemed to always be having to take it in for this or that fix under warranty. Nice to know that was or is now a false impression.
    My car shopping is pretty simple - get the cheapest car with the lowest miles and best gas mileage that I can fit my bike into without taking off the front wheel. I don't need any other bells & whistles - unlike you, since I left CA I have not had regular long distance drives. So, my last 3 cars have been a Nissan Versa, another Versa, and now a Honda Fit.
    One of my neighbors has one of those "teardrop" trailers and it is so cute! plus a shiny red, what's not to love?
    Hope that your flights were easy, your test is negative, and you have a great time in VA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...we survived. Well, I did anyway, Jeannie is still on vacation with "the girls" (they are up in Putin (sp?) Bay, somewhere up in the Great lakes (some kind of Island). She has a few more days there, then back to the VA farm and finally back home. Me, my flight from Raleigh-Durham was late departing (they never told us why) and I subsequently missed my connection in Denver by minutes. Me and another retired guy (Army officer) RAN the moment our plane door opened across the Denver airport to our departing plane...it not only didn't wait for us (both Premier customers) but it actually departed 3 minutes early. We were both pretty upset...this was an evening departure going to a small airport, where there are no connections for others to miss...they could have waited 10 minutes for us...they knew we were on the ground but still left us. Then they did NOTHING for us other than re-book us on a flight 16 hours later. I had to get a hotel on my own dime (the other guy slept in the airport). It sucked. But I finally got home this afternoon, mowed the lawn, picked up the monsters from our sitter...and all is well again. It's always good to be HOME! Its funny that Raleigh-Durham was almost empty, and Denver was packed! Hopefully I am safe...I took all the precautions I could. Time will tell....

    ReplyDelete